BECS and BRU of the OVLL have reorganized to form the department of neuroscience and biomedical engineering, i.e. NBE at Aalto University School of Science. Our vision and mission will be available soon at nbe.aalto.fi.
BECS: Multidisciplinary research on the cutting edge of three synergetic fronts
The research conducted at BECS focuses on three key areas: Biomedical Engineering and Biophysics, Computational Complex Systems and Brain and Mind. The scale of our systems of interest ranges from quantum dots to broad networks: nanosystems, molecular interactions, neurons, the brain and the heart, cognition, information technology systems and social and economic networks. We combine experimental and computational methods and develop algorithms as well as new technologies to tackle major problems in human well-being, medical diagnostics, energy, the society and the environment.
- Jan 23, 2015NBE summer internships of 2015 up for grabs in February, kick-off on Feb 4!
- Jan 16, 2015Doctoral dissertation of Kirsi Palmu on January 30
- Dec 16, 2014Doctoral dissertation of Tomi Peltola on January 12
- Dec 3, 2014Doctoral dissertation of Juha Lahnakoski on January 16
- Dec 2, 2014Doctoral dissertation of Pyry Kivisaari on December 10
- Nov 26, 2014Petri Ala-Laurila awarded for scientific courage by Academy of Finland
- Nov 26, 2014Aki Vehtari appointed Professor in computational science
- Sep 29, 2014Simo Särkkä and Arno Solin awarded at conference IEEE MLSP
- Sep 12, 2014Study on the significance of lies in social networks featured by YLE
- Sep 9, 2014Open Postdoctoral Researcher Position in Complex Networks & Computational Social Science, application deadline: October 5
- Aug 5, 2014Doctoral dissertation of Niina Sandholm on August 15
- May 28, 2014Doctoral dissertation of Jussi Nurminen on June 10
- May 21, 2014Talk by Prof. Andrew Gelman (Columbia University, USA) on June 3
- May 20, 2014Workshop Interaction Networks and Collective Motion in Swarms, Flocks and Crowds on May 2628
- Apr 30, 20142nd TMS-EEG Summer School: Probing Brain Dynamics on September 813
- Apr 17, 2014Open summer intern position: Neural circuits of the retina
- Apr 11, 2014Doctoral dissertation of Juhani Dabek on April 29
- Apr 10, 2014Nature study on time lag of Nobel prizes featured widely
- Mar 28, 2014Aalto SCI invites applications for professorship in molecular biophysics,
application deadline: April 30
- Mar 19, 2014Koos Zevenhoven receives award for best oral presentation
- Mar 12, 2014Petri Ala-Laurila appointed Assistant Professor in biophysics
- Mar 12, 2014Lack of snow is not even a speed bump: BECS Winter Hassle on March 20!
- Feb 24, 2014Shared first prize in poster competition of Finnish Society for Medical Physics and Medical Engineering awarded to Lari Koponen
- Feb 11, 2014Publication on friendship paradox featured widely
- Jan 28, 2014Santo Fortunato nominated Distinguished Referee of EPL for the third time
- Jan 22, 2014The BECS Factor 2014 kick-off on Monday, January 27 at 3 PM!
- Jan 17, 2014Doctoral dissertation of Ajay Mahalka on January 24
- Jan 17, 2014The fabbest summer internships of 2014 will be landed in The BECS Factor! Application deadline: February 7
- Jan 8, 2014Doctoral dissertation of Mikko Hakala on January 24
- Jan 7, 2014PNAS publication on the persistency of social networks featured widely